Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Today's Challenge

I went to the Pima County Fair yesterday.  I had a great time watching the judging of the 4-H kids handling their pygmy goats.  In the school art display I saw some great photographs students had written haiku to describe the photo.
What is your favorite thing to do at the fair?  Make a list of ten things, then pick one.  Can you make a list of details for that one thing?  Try using all of your senses.  Can you include one simile or metaphor--Riding the elephant felt like jogging on a bumpy road, the Ferris wheel  is a cruise on the back of a swan.

When I was in third grade I wrote this poem about the fair:

I went to the fair on a sunny day.
I went to the fair some games to play.
I threw a ball, my ball went in.
I won a fish with a golden fin.

I remember my mom wasn't any where near as happy as I was about my winning.

OK, now it's your turn. Have fun writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment