Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Do you ever pretend you are a horse?

Wild Horses

When I was a child, my sister and I would play horses when we didn't have language to talk about what was really important.


It was easier being a horse
who pawed the dirt to claim territory,
stretching muscles as I'd rear back,
nostrils flared, fetlocks flashing in air
before taking off in a gallop or cantor,
a brown mane bouncing against my neck.

I knew more about being a wild horse
than how to live with parents who yelled
trying to tame me.

1 comment:

  1. Joy,

    Isn't the world of pretend wonderful and sometimes a great escape. Thanks for the reminder.

    Linda A.

    ReplyDelete