Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Monday, May 9, 2011

How was your weekend?

Did you have a good weekend?  Mine was great.  Can you guess from today's poem what I did?


WHERE WE’D BEEN?

If I were a dog, I know what I’d do,
I’d dig out of my pen and go to the zoo.

And when I got there I’d follow through,
And uncage all the other animals too.

The lions and tigers, the kangaroo,
Bears and buffalo and the quick running gnu.

Elephant, rhino, and a hairy baboon,
Hippos and penguins and a sad calling loon.

Once all the animals were out running free,
We’d rush to the mall to see a movie.

We’d eat candy, pop corn, and icy sno-cones.
Then when it was over, we’d all hurry home.

We’d close all our doors, clean up any mess,
So no one would know, and no one could guess.

I hope you have a great week.  Can you write a poem about your favorite animal?  Maybe you can make it a riddle poem where each line gives a clue and you don't reveal what the animal is until the last line.

No comments:

Post a Comment