Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Monday, July 25, 2011

T.J. Discovers Braces

T. J. DISCOVERS BRACES


On Monday
at Burton GeoWorld Magnet School
a young autistic boy
names body parts.

He touches my neck and says, Neck.
Touches my necklace. Necklace, he says.
Hair.
Eyes.
Eye brow.
Chin.
Lips.
When his warm fingers touch my lips,
I smile,
show my teeth and braces.
His dark eyes look inside,
he pauses, considers,
then, proudly announces--
A teeth necklace.

    Some of the most rewarding work I have done is with special needs children.  I always get so much more than I give. They teach me so much.  I love this new word for braces that T.J. taught me.  He made me glad that I wore braces. He taught me to see them as jewelry--gems. Do you have a special needs friend you'd like to write a poem for?


1 comment:

  1. Hi Joy,

    I hope this one makes it in your free-verse novel. I love it!

    Linda A.

    ReplyDelete