Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Friday, August 5, 2011

Philip Hunkapillar

Here is another one of those character poems.


Philip Hunkapillar
loved his caterpillar.
He gave it kisses and little hugs.
then put it to bed with the rest of his bugs.

He'd hug each bug 
and hold it tight
then tuck up the covers
and wish it, "Good Night."


     I'm going to have to do some more work on this poem.  Somehow it seems like it needs to have the word snug in here some place.  Have you ever written a poem, just so you could use a special word?  This poem I actually wrote because I liked saying, "Hunkapillar."  It feels really good in my mouth.  Open your dictionary or any magazine to a random page, put your finger down and see what word is under your finger.  Can you write a poem using that word?  Let me know what you come up with.

2 comments:

  1. Joy,

    How about: put it to bed snug with the other bugs.

    Linda A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that. Thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking of another stanza, but this just might work with a little tweaking.

    ReplyDelete