Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Weird Words!

Yo! Loco, loco,
the dog played the oboe!
The hippo dug deep in the lake.
The big old cat sighed
and shut her eyes
while the hummingbirds
stole birthday cakes.


     This poem is absolute nonsense.  It is what I ended up with when I tried writing a Poetry Obscura poem using Hey, Diddle, Diddle as the starting point.  Since the first line is nonsense words, I used reverse rhyming.  You could pick any musical instrument then make up a nonsense word to rhyme with it.  The nonsense word should have the same number of syllables as the musical instrument.  Can you make your own list on musical instruments and nonsense words that rhyme?  For instance:
Trumpet=blumpet, blumpet
violin=gungadin, gungadin
cymbal=thimble, thimble
piano= me and yo, me and yo
   Try this and see what you can come up with.  Go crazy. Be bold.  But what ever you do, have fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment