Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

FAKE FLOWERS

What a bunch
pink peony,
yellow and orange
daffodils,
a stately spear 
of freesia,
gathered together
in an arrangement.
I use my notebook
as a fake flower vase
for the art class.
A blind contour exercise--
draw flowers.

I enrolled in a basic drawing class at the desert museum.  The first session was on Monday and our first assignment was to draw this bunch of flowers without looking at the paper or our pencil.  Very interesting.  I couldn't help but think about all the times I've written at the computer without looking at the screen.  Today's writing assignmnet is to write a poem about your favorite flower.

I am the trumpet
blowing jazz into the wind--
yellow daffodil.   

     Now that was fun.  Thank you.

3 comments:

  1. Daffodils. Daffodils.
    Sitting on the windowsills.
    In a vase hued in blues and yellows.
    Water makes them happy fellows.
    Daffodils. Daffodils.
    ...Joan Y. Edwards
    http://www.joanyedwards.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the haiku!! drawing w/o looking at the paper? Not sure I could do that!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, Joan.
    Thank you for sharing your poem.

    ReplyDelete