Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Friday, October 14, 2011

My Face

My jaw chews
munch,     munch,     munch.

My lips
smack,     smack,     smack.

My nose smells
sniff,     sniff,     sniff.

My eyes
blink,      blink,      blink.

So tell me
what do you think?
Isn't my face
 amazing?


     I think I'm still stuck on sound poems.  And the problem is that I haven't written the ONE sound poem that I know is back there hidden in my head.  I have the idea, but the words aren't coming out right yet.  So I'm writing all around the idea.   But I also believe that if I stick with it, that really good poem is going to arrive.   I notice that I'm using the rule of three here again with the sniff,sniff, sniff, and blink,blink,blink.  I did consider going with munch-munch, and smack-smack; using the sound twice with a hyphen in the middle, but I didn't like the look of that.
     Are you up for trying to write another sound poem today?Pick any sound you like--a tractor, the garbage disposal, your dog.  Then try using the sound in multiples of two or three in your poem.

For example:

My car roars
varoom,     varoom,    varoom.
Over the streets it
zooms,     zooms,     zooms.

 Or,

My boa constrictor sings
hiss-hiss.
I do NOT want his
kiss-kiss.


  OK, now it is your turn.  Have fun writing and playing with words.

No comments:

Post a Comment