Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Javelinas

The moon was round,
 shining bright
as two javelinas
ran fast last night.

They were caught
in my headlights,
racing on the road
to get out of sight.

I'm glad they didn't 
turn to fight,
their sprinting bodies
gave me a fright.

We went on our ways
into the night.
The javelinas and me
we'll both be all right.

     If you don't know what a javelina is, it is a peccary, a pig-like creature.  Very sturdy, very compact.  They travel in groups and knock over trash cans looking for food.  They root up plants in gardens.  At Halloween time people are advised to keep their pumpkins indoors so the javelinas can't get to them.  Evidently pumpkin is like candy to a javelina.
    What is something you see at night?  Can you write a poem about it?  Have a great weekend.  Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Joy,

    Thanks so much for sharing information about the wildlife in your area and the advice to keep pumpkins indoors. It helps us gain knowledge of animal habits that might be unfamiliar to us.

    Linda A.

    ReplyDelete