Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Friday, July 3, 2015

FIRE STATION

One of the greatest adventures
in our nation,
is to step inside
a fire station.

You never know
just what you'll find.
The workers there
are brave, gentle and kind.

   This poem is written for Vince, a new friend I met at CalTech in Pasadena.  He asked for a poem about fire engines.  This isn't quite that, but it is what came to mind as I was thinking fire engines.  When I was a young girl, my teacher used firemen to teach me how to print the number five.
  The fireman slides down his pole, 
then he circles around town 
to get to the fire.  
When he gets to the bottom, 
he realizes he forgot
to put his hat on so 
he goes back to the station
to put his hat on top.

  Did you learn how to write the number five with two strokes this way?
  Have you ever visited a fire station?  Do you know why fire engines are red?  Do you know what trait dalmatians have that makes them an excellent fire house dog?
  Last week I was in Alexandria, Virginia and I saw pink fire engines racing through the streets.  I'd never seen pink fire engines before.  I liked that.
  Now it is your turn.  Can you write a poem today about fire, fire engines, fire fighters, or fire stations?  May your words be aflame to write this poem.  Have fun.

A children's poem is like a piece of chocolate, you never know what you'll find inside.

3 comments:

  1. Joy,
    I enjoyed hearing about firefighter adventures, how to form a "5" with a firefighter in action, and about pink fire engines, all thanks to Vince's request for firefighter poetry. Is this anything like cowboy poetry, but with a different group sharing. ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, Linda, I've never heard of firefighter poetry, but it sounds like a great idea. I'll bet there are a lot of fire fighters who write poetry. They certainly have time to write at the station.

      Delete
    2. Maybe you can collect firefighter poems or write from the POV of a firefighter.

      Delete