Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

CHICKENS SQUAWK


Chickens by my doorstep
peck plants in a quickstep.
Chickens at the door mat,
teasing the old house cat.
Chicks in the front yard
search for tasty grubs,
dig in and out
of the planter tubs.
Chicks scratch in the dirt
look for their dessert. 
Everywhere I walk
I hear chickens squawk.
BAWK, BAWK, BAWK! 

  So I played some more with my reject chicken poem from yesterday and this is what I came up with.  I need to take this poem apart again, because the rhythm still isn't right, but I'll save you the agony of seeing this poem again.  Instead I'll invite you to write your own poem today.  When was the last time you wrote a concrete poem?  Do you want to try one of those today?  Go for it.  Have fun.

  Today is Ash Wednesday.  Did you do anything to celebrate?  Will you give up anything for lent?

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.  Helen Keller

2 comments:

  1. Dear Joy,
    I love the sound of the word squawk!

    We had chickens for a couple of years. They did a lot of squawking!

    Have a fun day!

    Joan


    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that chickens are looking for dessert!

    ReplyDelete